Jul 2, 2009

Summer

As salamu alaiki summer vacation has begun here and everyone is heading home to their respective countries of origin or making travel plans to visit some other place. I myself have been on mental vacation for 3 weeks now just dealing with I guess what people would call "home sickness" for a lack of a better word. In the last week I have cooked chicken cheese steaks, potato salad and french toast. Dishes that must reflect my feelings of missing family and friends. trying to return to visit America at this time of year without advance reservations is almost impossible if you want a reasonable price. Those of us who are not taking a holiday as they say go on with our regular routine and enjoy Medina even still. I did attend a farewell party for a dear sister who is returning to America for good. She will be missed. After 8 years in Medina I wonder how she will adjust to returning to America. I did receive several emails and I apologize in advance because I was unaware I had. Some readers would like to know the cost of several things here in Medina like cars and apartments etc.. I will do my best to address your questions. I honestly do not know how expensive or not cars are. I do know that the variety of vehicles here are the same as the West you can purchase anything from a hummer to small Toyota. Most apartments are unfurnished which means you install your lighting, kitchen sink, hot water tanks and kitchen cabinets. This time of year hot water tanks are not need to much because the main tank is outside on the roof and the heat makes even your cold water run very warm. There are furnished apartment but I am not aware of the cost. I have recently visited a few friends and every one's apartments are so nice mashaAllah. Housing here is generally very spacious the apartments in our building are 3 bedrooms,2 1/2 bathrooms and 2 living rooms 1 for women 1 for men as well as an eat in kitchen. I have seen much larger and of course somewhat smaller. Many of the older housing is larger but maybe not as fancy. But when you arrive you can see all of the new developments that are under construction everywhere. Like so many parts of the world new developments are on going. I hope this is helpful to some who are expecting to arrive.