May 11, 2009

Rain


View of the city
Many of my moments in Medina are just little things I find moving, mesmerizing or motivating. Today was a day not unlike many others alhumdulilah Allah allowed us to wake to offer the fajr prayer, we prepared the children for school as we do all the time. I walked my daughter to school this morning but as we walked I felt the cool Medina breeze that so many speak about when coming here. During the winter months the temperature can be cool and you will have the nicest breeze in the mornings sometimes even the need for a sweater or light jacket may be necessary. The smell in the air was different the usual but because of the morning traffic and daily rush I wonder if others also took notice to the slight difference in the atmosphere. I told my husband it is such a nice morning but still a little warm. Later on in the morning through Allahs mercy we were able to enjoy the benefits of rain. Rain is one of those many blessings you began to really appreciate because it is so rarely experienced here in the desert. To the best of my recollection this is the second rain we have in about 7 months. The first rain I experienced here in Medina was a small storm that lasted several days it caused some flooding in many areas, mudslides and rock slides it was accompanied by thunder and lightning. I was told it was the first in years (Allah knows best). In Medina it is not uncommon to hear the Imams make dua for rain in the fajr salahs. The rain brings a welcomed coolness that can be missed in temperatures that can easily reach over a hundred degrees in May. The children ans I began or walk to class this afternoon deciding to take on the drizzle as we walked towards school but after a few minutes the drops began to come down at a faster pace and drench the ground suddenly we retraced our steps back home to escape that rain. All I could think about was sitting on the steps and letting the drops hit my face. Theses are small reminders to increase making dua. The weather in Medina is pretty constant there are winter months like December and January when the temperature is cool in the mornings and late in the evenings in comparison to the West it is still very warm for that time of year. The long time residence here say Medina has 2 months of winter. Areas like Jeddah and Mecca are almost always warm. Lately according to the Internet the last few days temperatures have been reported at 30 degrees Celsius(approx.86 degrees Fahrenheit) in the mornings. Even one day last week was reported to be 106 by the afternoon. Yes it can be very hot but this is an easy adjustment for most. Because of the extreme temperatures this is a society that does most of its business after asr when the sun is declining. Most appointments are made after then. Stores open, and the city comes to life in so many words after asr salah even more so during the month of Ramadan. I will never forget when my husband said the children had a dentist appointment once at midnight. Some say the day is night and the night is day.
The Royal palace from afar

Al Haram before and after prayer